Eagle Harbour Yacht Club (EHYC) began its Junior Club in 1992. Over the past twenty years, young sailors have enjoyed the many benefits of membership, while continuing to improve their sailing skills.
The Junior Club provides a fun and friendly environment for young sailors of ten years or older who are looking for more than the regular summer lessons. Many students of EHYC’s summer sailing program have joined as Junior Members of the club in order to keep sailing throughout the year.
A Junior Executive is elected each year , and works together with an adult Junior Coordinator and the Sailing Director to organise club events. Racing at regattas takes place through the North Shore Sailing Team. EHYC’s Junior Club is focused on social functions and recreational sailing.
Benefits of Membership
- Access to the club sailing dinghies between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. for members having completed CANSail 2 or higher. This does not include Sailing School hours in the summer when all boats are in use.
- Opportunity to gain racing experience in local regattas.
- Weekend spring and fall sailing supervised sailing sessions provided by experienced EHYC coaches.
- Storage for dinghies owned by members of 16 years of age or older.
- Opportunity to try sailing on Senior Members yachts for Wednesday night races.
- A membership number that may be converted to Intermediate status at the age of 19.
- Junior Club sailing and social activities
As Eagle Harbour’s Junior Club expands, so do the number of things it is able to do. This year the Junior Club hopes to do many fun and different activities:
- Overnight sailing and camping trips to Bowen Island, and regatta excursions to Vancouver Island and the Interior
- Social events such as Wing Ding Open House BBQs, pizza nights, Bowen Island Trip, movie nights and fundraisers such as the Boatwash and 50/50 draws.
- Spring training sessions beginning May and June and in September, every Saturday from noon to 4:00 PM. Details are distributed to members by email.